Detroit Bank Fraud Attorneys
The collapse of the housing market was attributed in part to inflated appraisals and shady practices inside the banking and mortgage lending industry. As a result, state and federal investigators have trained their microscopes on real estate transactions past and present looking for patterns of fraud and collusion.
LaRene & Kriger PLC represents industry professionals, developers, and buyers and sellers suspected of mortgage fraud or bank fraud. The criminal defense attorneys of the firm are known in Metro Detroit and throughout Michigan for notable results in the arena of “white collar” crimes.
Mortgage Fraud Lawyers In Wayne County
Bank fraud and mortgage fraud are federal crimes punishable by lengthy prison terms. In many cases, additional charges of mail fraud, wire fraud, conspiracy or money laundering may be leveled, raising the stakes and providing prosecutors with leverage.
Merely being charged with these offenses can result in employment termination, professional license sanctions and other consequences. Attorneys Mark Kriger and Deday LaRene have the experience to represent anyone connected to alleged bank or mortgage fraud: real estate developers, Realtors, mortgage brokers, bank executives, appraisers, residential or commercial property owners, and individuals or business owners seeking real estate loans.
The partners can confront the specific allegations, such as:
- Appraisal fraud — Collusion between lenders and independent appraisers to inflate the market value
- Straw purchase — Using a creditworthy “middleman” to obtain a mortgage on behalf of a buyer who has no intention of paying back the loan
- False statements — Providing false or forged documents regarding income, employment or homesteading to qualify for a loan
- Foreclosure fraud — Offering to “rescue” a distressed homeowner and absconding with the upfront fees or fraudulently taking title to the home
- Kickbacks — Bribes to bank officials or mortgage company in exchanging for approving unsuitable loans
In many cases, homeowners, straw buyers, real estate agents or loan officers who have themselves been duped are caught up in a larger fraud investigation. Whether you are innocent or involved, it is important to talk to an attorney before making any statements to authorities. Your own words or any actions that do not follow the letter of the law will be used against you.
When LaRene & Kriger is involved early, the lawyers can sometimes avoid indictment or get unfounded charges dismissed. If you are charged with fraud or other crimes, they will exhaust your defenses and go to trial if necessary to avoid a conviction or mitigate the penalties.
LaRene & Kriger practices in state and federal courts of Michigan and beyond, including appellate representation. To arrange a confidential consultation with experienced Detroit bank fraud attorneys, contact LaRene & Kriger today.