Accomplished Criminal Law Attorneys Based In Detroit
LaRene & Kriger PLC is a pre-eminent criminal defense firm in Detroit with a long history of both trial and appellate work in notable and challenging cases. The partners, Mark Kriger and Deday LaRene, are well known and respected throughout Michigan and beyond for the caliber of their representation on behalf of those accused of serious crimes.
They have consistently been acknowledged in surveys of their fellow lawyers as being at the very top of their profession, both in skill and integrity. They take their responsibilities, and their clients’ well-being, extremely seriously, and well understand the importance of every case, and every life, which is entrusted to them.
Federal Crimes · Felony Offenses · Appeals And Post-Conviction
Partners Mark Kriger and Deday LaRene have practiced together since 1999 and have more than 70 years of combined experience in criminal defense. With the recent addition of attorney Allison Kriger, their criminal defense practice is equipped for a broad range of serious criminal matters:
- Fraud and white collar crimes
- Racketeering and conspiracy
- Public corruption
- Assault, robbery or homicide
- Drug trafficking or drug possession
- Theft and property crimes
- Appeals and post-conviction relief
Their clients include doctors, business owners, executives, public officials, attorneys, stockbrokers and other people with careers and much more at stake. LaRene & Kriger also has in-house forensic computer evidence capabilities — a rarity among criminal defense lawyers, but invaluable in complex cases where computer-based evidence can be of great importance.
Notable Results In High-Profile Cases
- LaRene & Kriger successfully defended former Macomb County prosecutor Carl Marlinga on charges of taking bribes and violating federal election laws during his 2002 congressional bid. After their client was acquitted by a jury on all counts, Mr. LaRene and Mr. Kriger were honored as 2006 Lawyers of the Year by Michigan Lawyers Weekly.
- In a case known locally as the Rib Rack murder, LaRene & Kriger represented one of three teenagers accused in the shooting death of a restaurant manager during a robbery. Although his co-defendants tried to portray Jerome Hamilton as the trigger man, their client was acquitted at trial in 2010 and the others were convicted.
- Mark Kriger represented Grosse Pointe businessman Bob Bashara who was charged with solicitation to murder, arranging to have his wife’s confessed killer killed.
- In a case known locally as the Wolverine Golf Club Trial, Mr. Kriger successfully represented Leonard Torrice who was charged with Racketeering, Money Laundering, and Conducting an Illegal Gambling Business. After a three month trial, Mr. Torrice was acquitted of all charges.
These are just a sample of noteworthy cases the firm has handled in recent years. For every highly publicized case, there are many more in which their intervention kept clients out of the spotlight — and out of prison.
Proven Trial Lawyers Who Personally Handle Your Case
White Collar Crime Lawyers In Wayne County
LaRene & Kriger accepts only a limited number of cases so that the partners can personally mount the sophisticated and spirited defense their clients need. The attorneys do the work themselves — the research, motions, briefs, everything — rather than delegating these tasks to a paralegal or law clerk. This ensures that the lawyer responsible for the case is thoroughly familiar with it, and that every aspect of the defense receives first-rate attention.
Between them, the partners have handled cases in more than 20 states, and United States District Courts in more than 25 districts and U.S. territories, and have argued cases before seven of the twelve U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeals. Deday LaRene and Mark Kriger are rated AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell, a recognition of their legal abilities and professional integrity.
Contact LaRene & Kriger today to arrange a confidential consultation. You will receive honest, candid information you can count on.
* AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.